Are You At Risk?
HEART ATTACKS AND FIREFIGHTERS
WHY ARE FIREFIGHTERS DYING MORE FROM HEART ATTACKS THAN ANY OTHER CAUSE OF LINE OF DUTY DEATH?
1. FIREFIGHTERS ARE AT RISK FOR HEART DISEASE Harvard University just published a study in the New England Journal of Medicine to bring attention to this disturbing fact.
2. STRESS We carry up to 120lbs. of equipment at fires and emergencies, operate for extended periods of time, see traumatic events that can lead to PTSD and make life or death decisions on a daily basis.
3. DIET/EXERCISE TOLERANCE As we all know our diet in the firehouse is not heart healthy. We also go from 0 to 60 in 1 second when the beep-bop goes off.
4. High Cholesterol Many of us have high cholesterol and do nothing about it. This is the building block for heart disease and heart attacks!
5. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE Many of us have this but don’t feel symptoms, so we do nothing about it.
6. OVERWIEGHT Yes, I mean you. 66% of us are overweight or obese and do nothing about it!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO…
New York Firefighters Heart and Lung Institute
1165 Northern Blvd. suite 400
Manhasset, NY 11030
Phone (631) 742-0565
A MEDICAL CENTER DESIGNED BY FIREFIGHTERS FOR FIREFIGHTERS
NEW YORK FIREFIGHTERS HEART AND LUNG INSTITUTE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS TO LOOK OUT FOR:
1. CHEST PAIN/PRESSURE
2. SHORTNESS OF BREATH
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
FAMILY HISTORY OF HEART PROBLEMS
LACK OF EXERCISE
YOUR EVALUATION MAY INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING
Cardiac examination: This will consist of a basic cardiac physical exam, EKG, blood work with cholesterol and glucose screening along with other tests, as needed.
Pulmonary examination: This will consist of lung screening history of exposures, chest x-ray, pulmonary function test and referral for advanced testing, as needed to Eric Szillus NP
X-RAY, MRI, LODI, PT
Screening tests available
NUCLEAR STRESS TEST
PULMONARY FUNCTION TEST
CHEST X RAY
WHAT DOES IT COST?
THERE IS MINIMAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE. ALL FDNY INS. IS ACCEPTED. SOME MAY NEED A REFERAL
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
GENERALLY THE COMPLETE WORK UP WILL TAKE 2-3 VISITS. Each visit lasts about an hour and a half.
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE
ROB BROWN IS A FIREFIGHTER FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND A CARDIOLOGY P.A. FOR OVER 14 YEARS. HE WRITES FOR FIREHOUSE.COM AND SPEAKS NATIONALLY ON FIREFIGHTER HEALTH AND SAFETY.
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT HIM AT THE NUMBER LISTED BELOW FOR FURTHER INFORMATION. ALL VISITS ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND INFORMATION IS NOT SHARED WITH THE FIRE DEPARTMENT.